Heritage Days


A Little History:

Blackman UMC was erected in 1876 with the original name of Brown’s Chapel in honor of its first pastor, Alanson Brown. The beginning of the connection between this church and the Blackman community began at this point as Alfred W. Blackman donated land and materials for the building which was used as a church and public school. After many years of changes and transitions for Brown’s Chapel, additional land was donated on Manson Pike and a new sanctuary was built. In 1961, the new facilities were dedicated as Blackman Methodist Church. In the late 1990s when the state of Tennessee began development plans for State Route 840 it became clear a change was necessary for Blackman UMC. The congregation and members of the community worked together and moved the sanctuary, in its entirety, from its location on Mason Pike to a new location on the other side of the construction zone and in the fall of 1997 the new facility was dedicated once again.

Blackman UMC is located at 4380 Mason Pike Murfreesboro, TN.